The Best Techniques to Rescue Your Relationship
Is your relationship in trouble? There unfortunately aren’t any magic spells to conjure or wands to wave to get you back on track in an instant. What you need are love, respect and trust. If even one of these elements is removed then the relationship becomes damaged and could possibly be doomed to fail. If things are a bit rocky for you now, try one or more of these techniques to smooth things over and rescue your relationship.
1. It’s important to be realistic. Remember the feelings of butterflies and dizzy excitement you had when you first met and fell in love with your significant other? This is romance at its finest! Too bad it doesn’t last. After this initial period of intense passion, relationships settle into a more calm state of consistency and stability. Your daily routines become predictable and even boring; compared with the excitement you felt when the two of you first started dating. Try to remember that this was the infatuation stage – it’s not true love and it’s not sustainable. For love to last, the hope is that the relationship will transition into a deeper, more enduring kind of love. Read on for some ideas to help you nurture that abiding love that lasts… the type that can help rescue your relationship and take it to the next level.
2. Make sure you are practicing the qualities that help relationships survive. Honesty, loyalty, compassion, acceptance, understanding, forgiveness and trust. Remember that you are both human – you will both make mistakes.
3. Communication is key. It seems obvious, but it’s so important to be open and honest with your partner in a caring and positive way. If there’s a problem, address it early before it gets out of hand. Unsolved grievances can fester away and can reveal themselves later, leading to hurt feelings and resentment. If you’re not sure where you stand in a situation, talk it over.
4. Are you perfect? Nope. Neither is your significant other. Just because you both have imperfections, it doesn’t mean that your relationship is doomed to fail. Use the knowledge as an opportunity to grow with your partner – learning about each other and accepting will help to build trust between the two of you as a couple.
5. Something that “rescue relationship” counselors sometimes advise is to take a break from a problem. If communication just isn’t working, step back from it for a bit. Backing off from a heated debate doesn’t mean you’re ignoring it or trying to get out of it. It just shows your respect and love for your partner – the fact that you are letting your mind clear to allow you to think rationally.
6. Try to be there for your partner and to be thankful for him/her. Having a shoulder to cry on is great when you’re feeling down; you should be willing to do the same for you significant other. And it’s not all doom and gloom either. Celebrate each other’s successes too! Congratulate, join in and have fun.
7. On the topic of having fun, try to remember the things you used to do together and work some of them into your routine. Relationships shouldn’t be boring and stressful; they should be fun. Try to remember why you fell in love in the first place. Think about the fun you used to have together and start to include the things you did in the beginning, in your lives again.
Although these “rescue relationship” methods won’t work for every situation, they should provide some excellent groundwork for many. Be inspired by these techniques, take what will potentially work for you, and you might just find the answers you’re after. Once you and your partner are back on track, make sure you stay that way!