A fake tanning product is used as an external cosmetic application. It helps in achieving a tan of your choice. Different products can be used for tans of various shades. You can also choose products which are fortified with additional skin care additives. Several formulations are available in the market to choose from.
Most tanning products contain a compound called dihydroxyacetone. When applied on the skin, it combines with the proteins in the outermost layer and the end result is an oxidation process. It is this oxidation process which gives rise to the tan. The higher the concentration of the dihydroxyacetone, the darker is likely to be the tan. The concentration typically varies from three percent to ten percent. As the skin naturally exfoliates over days, the fake bake tan product loses its impact in a few days.
Why Fake Tans Are Considered Appealing And More Convenient?
Fake tans allow you to acquire a healthy shade of bronze without any apparent exposure to the sun. They are just like any other skin care or beauty product meant for external application. A shimmering tan is considered highly desirable in western countries. Tanning is also known to camouflage skin imperfections like broken capillaries and pigmentation marks. If you choose to go in for a natural tan by exposure to sunlight, these problems are likely to be further aggravated. Harmful ultraviolet radiation from the sun can also wreak havoc on your skin texture.
What Are The Ways Of Making A Fake Bake Tan Appear More Natural?
Even the best fake bake tanning products can make your tan look dull and pretentious if you do not know how to use them. Some of the practices you need to adhere to include:
- You need to minimize patches of uneven, rough or dead skin cells before applying a tanner. Consider scrubbing your skin with a loofah or use an AHA based body scrub for smooth, even skin.
- In case there is hair on the skin, consider shaving it off a day before you plan to apply the tanning compound. Shaving is an excellent way to exfoliate your skin. After a good shave, you have smooth, hairless skin which is ready to be tanned.
- Refrain from using a moisturizing product on your skin before you apply the tanning compound. Often, it can result in an uneven tan.
- Ideally, fake bake products should be applied on your skin evenly right after a bath, when the skin is truly moist.
- Apply from the center in outward strokes.
- In case you think you have actually applied too much of the product, consider wetting your hands and rubbing off the extra amount. This will ensure a more uniform spreading of the product.
- Refrain from applying directly to elbows, knees and such areas which have folded skin.
- Do not apply fake bake tan products on the face. The curves and twists of the facial muscles are way too many and getting a uniform tan may not be possible.